The first thing I did was get myself a haircut (and bubble tea). I really needed to get rid of the dead possum on my head. I think It looks much better, but don’t ask Jenn about it … she’ll just say: “meh”. Either way, Jody did an awesome job! She’s super nice and very friendly. Its not an upscale salon like what I used to go to in downtown, but I don’t really miss that either. I kinda like that it doesn’t take 1.5-2-hrs to cut my hair.
After that, I decided to clean-up my room. You can see a before panorama pic from before. It was a real mess. I even got fresh banana-bread muffins from Jenn for doing that. Score!
After cleaning up the room, I routed all the wires for my computer/entertainment-system back to my TV in the living room. This is where the internet comes in too.
After making a 3/4″ hole in the wall using an extended wood drill bit (of which I lost the set screws for the extender in the wall … stupid wall), I proceeded to thread the wires into the wall. I’m going to clean this up in the future. Right now I just wanted it to be functional. Maybe next week I will place a 1″ pipe with bushings so that it looks nice & is functional. Watch for a future post on this.
Now for my desk! I’ve been eager to start this part as having a functional workbench is the most important part of a work-space. I’ve had this idea of a 2×4 work-desk that I can replace peices of if they get too damaged. This was basically the same procedure as building yourself a deck. I even used 3″ green deck screws. The hardest part here is not having a bench saw. My angles were not a perfect 45 degree. But with my advanced hand saw skills I managed to make this work.
The idea is not to make a perfect “Ikea” desk. I want something robust that can take a beating. I don’t want to be worried about having a dent or scuff in it.
Now here is a short PSA for any of you following along and using power tools. I am not a professional, I do this for fun, so safety first! Sawdust = P95 dust mask, Loud noise = Hearing protection, Flying bits of wood = safety glasses. Be safe and don’t try this at home … Unless you know what you’re doing.
Here’s the finished top part. I decided that I needed a little clean-up session right after this as the house was getting really bad. It was actually worst that what our hedgehog leaves for us every morning after her drunken nights out.
Once acceptably clean, I started on the legs for the workbench. The legs are made from cedar ($$). I know, I didn’t need them to be cedar. So I bought these 4×4 cedar pieces originally for my gantry/Over-head-crane system. What I found was that cedar is an incredibly soft wood. I will need to redesign that system. In the meantime, I really like the contrast between the top & bottom of this table. It gives it an eccentric feel.
Love the accents of the cedar!
You can better see the chocolate/vanilla swirl that is my desk. In the above picture the legs are just placed on where they need to go. The process of actually screwing them in was actually quite complicated. I had to single-handedly lift the entire portion and delicately place the tabletop onto some teetering legs. This is where my OH-Crane would have come in handy!
Once upright, I used some 6″ headLok screws. These things are awesome for this purpose. After drilling these into the posts I immediately felt the sturdiness they added.
Right after I added metal angle plates with angled 2×4 for supports.
Desk! Super happy with the result. This desk will be the production floor of many of my future projects.