Category Archives: #painting

Some Necessary Kitchen Upgrades: Cookbook Holder.


So the wife bought me a cookbook for Christmas: “Bob’s Burgers, Burger Book”. So, I got the hint. Build the damn cookbook holder Bobby! We’ve had this idea for a long time (by we, I mean Jenn), and I just didn’t have time (It was like the 4th or 5th thing on my imaginary to-do list).

Here’s the book (after the jump), for anyone who wants to purchase (I’ts actually on special right now on amazon) It has some pretty epic Burger Recipes that I MUST try.

Also, makes a great Backdrop for my Cold Brew Maker.

I made a build Gallery Over here->: Imgur//CookBook you can check it out if you have a chance. Don’t forget to upvote so more people can see it!

Another thing I upgraded was our old “Industrial Pipe Shelf“. Remember how I added one more level. Now I also added an internal level:

All simply to be able to lift up the printer and place paper underneath it.

Its just such a simple hack and it shows how versatile this shelf really is. You can modify it to add side shelves too if you really wanted (if you have space). Or even rotating shelves that you can pull towards you when you want to grab something. Really, the possibilities are endless. And look how good this looks:

GIANT Lego Secret Stash!


A long long time ago, Jenn & I make a lego spice rack. You can read about the making of the block on her blog. It was her idea and I only helped a little … 

So, after we decided to get rid of the old spices, we needed to upgrade this lego project and make more realistic legos … with a little secret … 
I decided to make this post into a GIF party … all the cool kids are doing it. And, having lots of repetitive motion hakes this the perfect post to GIFIFY!
Drill all six caps from a 2″x4″. I would actually recommend just using a 2″x6″ since that’s what the base is made from. A 2-1/4″ hole saw is what I used.
Now that the holes are partially through (the hole saw won’t go through a whole 2×4), drill the pilot hole all the way through. This will help locate the center on the other side of the 2×4.

With a smaller hole saw (using 2″ hole saw here to make a nice lip) start drilling on the other side by using the pilot holes you just made.
Now, here I’m using my drill press, but you can also do this one by hand drill with a vise … The key here is since this piece is now round, you don’t want to hold it while doing this cut. I prepared by Drill press with a 1-3/4″ hole saw, to make the lip on the piece a tad bigger.

Now that all 6 pieces are cut to size, a little sanding and filing is needed.
Sanding is more fun when you build stacks.

Now, adding some foam with a hot glue gun makes the pieces fit perfectly tight, but not too hard that I have trouble taking them out.

two GIANT legos stacked!
two GIANT legos stacked!
And the best part is that now I have 12 little tiny holes that I can hide my secret stuff … like cash … or candy … or diamonds … or other legal/illegal things you may or may not like to hide.
Let me know if you like it.
Here are a few more photos. (These I had to do in HDR … sorry).

Cheers!

-DropBOB(tm) Designs Out

Project Side Table / Bomb Shelter — COMPLETE!


So I’m proud to announce (And I’m sure Jenn is also happy to hear this) Project side table is finally complete. Full Spec’s include: 52x Grade 5 1/2″ bolts w/ washers & nuts, 6x 4″ long structural wood screws, 20x conspicuous socket head cap screws, 1x door handle, 4x Concealed Spring Hinges, 1x 2″x4″ base, 1x entire elevator crate, 4x structural heat treated high carbon steel plates shaped and forged to suit (read I made lots of noise), 5x pieces of 4″x6″ construction site dunnage, 2x pieces 3/4″ plywood shelves, 4x heavy duty slide guides for shelving, 1 can of water based chestnut stain.


Its been 25 days … My last post was April 1st … I didn’t want my next post to be anything other that the project completion! 
After taking the entire project apart for the first time, I realized how many parts there really were. The sanding and cleaning of the wood was the loudest part during this phase. It included one small argument and an angry neighbor, but overall we made it through.

Paint texture looked good for a water base. I managed to string a line across my room to hand the freshly painted pieces. I used piano wire strung between 2x 2″x4″ wood pieces. We use this piano wire a lot in the elevator industry to make sure rails are installed accurately.
Here’s a little pride and joy that I took during this project. You may recall almost a year ago, I built this great work table. Well, It came in super handy. Because it’s entirely built out of 2″x4″ wood, I used it to hold my side table top (4″x6″ wood) into perfect shape while I glue it together. Using those 4-inch long structural wood screws just makes this process a cinch. Screw to the table, use a few pieces of left over wood, tighten and let dry. I Love this work desk!

Once all the wood had been stained, I managed to assembly it into its major components.
Here’s one mistake I made. Actually one of a few. But that’s the fun of doing these projects. Glue the shelf in final resting place … not in it’s pulled out state. Because the front & back will not be glued parallel this way. And your pull out shelves won’t close.
And this PL 8x glue is just a monster of a glue. I had to destroy some of the wood to re-glue it later.

Overall, a great learning experience. This table will withstand nuclear warfare! And It works great to hold your various games and other living room paraphernalia.

Thank’s Jenn for tolerating the noise and providing your input on some of the design. Project Success!