So now that we’re back from our family Christmas in San Francisco, I’ve decided to use my last week of vacation staying at home, relaxing and taking care of myself.
Its been pretty busy though, as the first thing I did was give myself a list of goals/tasks to complete before the week ends:
– Run 10k everyday (or so)
– Make Jenn’s Christmas/New-Years card
– Renew passport
– Think (and make up your mind) about signing up for school
– Confirm wedding venue with down-payment
– Clean house/kiwi/shower
– Design a cold drip coffee maker
– Work on couch side tables
I know this might seem daunting at first, but I think I can do it all. So far I’ve run 5k Monday, 10k Tuesday, made Jenn’s card, Cleaned House & kiwi.
And since Jenn loves receiving cards, I always make it a point to make her a special card for Christmas. Something that you can’t just go buy in stores (I think at some point I may run out of ideas though). If you recall, last Christmas I made Jenn a pop-up card in the shape of a most-awesome-christmas-card-ever.
This year though, I think I outdid myself:
|I played around with this RAW camera capture from my OnePlus One … Not bad I think.
I bound 2 pieces of 0.25″ thick heat treated steel with a 3/4″ thick plywood piece. The plywood was then cut. on the inside to form a small maze. The catch here is that there is a small piece of wood, with a message, in this maze. But you have to complete the maze without being able to see it.
I kept it pretty simple, as I don’t want to over complicate it and make it impossible.
Hope you like it Jenn!
Merry Christmas & New Year 2014/15
(Not like anybody reads this, one vote for my next project… Really!).
I just wanted to bring to my avid readers an update. I couldn’t post a play by play on this last project since it was a surprise Christmas card for Jenn.
So I figure I might as well post the result.
Cheers (and sorry for the vertical bars):
And it folds! what a miracle…
That last picture is what I thought a Jelly-Jube was …
Today I added a small touch.
I feel like a little part of the fun of advent calendars is the irreversible opening of a box. So I’ve wrapped each individual box as if it was a present.
Hope Jenn likes it.
So, with the help of my faithful assistant, I finished my advent calendar for Jenn.
We painted the little boxes each a different color of Christmas.
I will add little magnets to the back of all the little corroplast boxes so that they don’t easily fall out.
And I also need to fill them up with tones of goodies.
Today I got really pissed off at the Corro-Plast (corrugated plastic) so much so, that I threw all my toys on the floor and went to my computer for help…
I decided to use my solidworks sheet-metal module for the first time. It’s not too bad. I made a cube, converted it to sheet-metal. Used 0.05 as my k value (this means that bending the sheet will cause more stretching in the bend than compressing) this mimics that fact that I’m cutting the corrugated part and then just bending it sharply at the front.
Then I created a flat pattern and printed. This worked so much Better than I imagined. So I picked up my toys again and continued working. I got the 1st 12 completed. I can now do the remaining 12 in about a day if I remain concentrated.
Also on a lighter note (since I’m a little high from the fumes). Contact cement is just amazing. You apply it, you let it dry to the point where it feels completely dry to the touch. Then you stick both dry parts together and magic. They stay stuck. Seriously amazing shit.
Well, today at the grocery store Jenn reminded me that I have yet again forgotten to buy her an advent calendar. I wanted to get her the really good Lindor one since she got me the most amazing beer advent calendar. Turns out Lindor had started cheaping out. They don’t even put any of the big chocolates. What the hell Lindor!
So I decided to go to home depot instead and buy some MDF. I’ll make my own damn calendar. Then I’ll get my own chocolates and put them in.
here’s my progress so far:
Some mistakes not to make next time: don’t confuse epoxy with contact cement. It won’t dry. Also, hot glue did not work so well.
I was initially going to make 24 big boxes and 24 small drawers to go inside the boxes. Then I was going to magnetise the boxes. so they could be arranged a different way every year.
But, that’s a lot of boxes to make. I might just end up putting a hinged door. Also probably won’t put the magnets… We’ll see. I’ve only made 12 boxes so far.